Service Tag Support
Dell XPS Developer Edition with Ubuntu Linux - go for the Iris Plus Graphics Intel 640 NON TOUCH DISPLAY
USB-C Adapter for use with laptop = Aukey CB-C34
Precision Tower T3620
Wake On Lan
Photo 964 AiO
How to install in Windows 7 - see here.
It appears that while the Dell 3115cn has a scanner and software that will allow you to scan from the desktop it is only possible to do this via a direct connection, i.e. USB. Scanning over the network is not possible, however scanning from the unit itself to a PC is possible. So when installing the Dell 3115cn for network printing it is only necessary to install the driver software and where required the status monitoring software, everything else is bloat.
Before starting ensure that you have the following:
- The IP address of the printer
- The IP address of the computer(s)
- The Windows log on name of each user
- On each PC you will need to create a folder called 'dellscan' (without the speech marks)
- Make the folder available to all users using Windows 'Sharing and Security' options
Printer (Via Web Interface)
- Next in a web browser in the address bar enter the printer's IP address
- If a log in screen appears enter 'admin' for the username, in its default state the password is blank
- You have now logged on to the printer
- From the links on the left-hand side click on 'Address Book'
- From the tabs click on “Server Address”
- Click “add”
- ID - This is the numbered place in the address book and is prefilled and is not editable
- Name - The name of the user, e.g. Fred Dibnah
- Server Type - Select SMB
- Server Address - The IP address of the client computer (not the printer)
- Server Port Number - 139
- Login Name - the login name of the client computer, e.g. fdibnah
- Login Password - Depending on your network set up this may or not be needed
- Share Name - dellscan
- Server Path - Skip this
Sending A Scan To A PC
- Use up/down arrows to select 'Scan'
- Press the tick button
- Use up/down arrows to select 'Scan to Network'
- Use left/right arrow keys to select 'Computer'
- Press tick to select
- Use up/down arrows to select user
- Press the tick button twice then press the triangle key to finalize scan
Information for the above was gratefully cribbed from here
Default user account settings:
- Username: admin
- Password: blank (as in it does not have one, do not type 'blank')
Admin Password for 3110cn, 3115cn, and 5110cn Color Laser Printers
The username and password information found in the Users Guides for the 3110cn, 3115cn, and 5110cn Color Laser Printers is incorrect.
The username is admin and cannot be changed. The factory default password is not set, and the password field should be left empty to access the Dell Printer Configuration Web Tool. The password can be changed using the Dell Printer Configuration Web Tool, Set Password link. After the password has been changed, the browser window must be closed and re-opened. Otherwise, it may appear as if the password change was ineffective.
You must know the old password before you can save a new password. If the old password is unknown, resetting the network non-volatile random-access memory (NVRAM) is required to clear the old password before a new password can be set.
Resetting the NVRAM clears all customized network settings.
Reset NVRAM on the Dell™ 3110cn Printer
Press the Menu button.
Press the button until Admin Menu appears, then press the button or the button.
Press the button until Wired Network is displayed, then press the button or the button.
Press the button until Reset LAN appears, then press the button or the button.
When the Are you sure? message appears on the operator panel, press the button. The display momentarily indicates Initializing..., followed by Initialized, followed by Restart Printer to apply setting. The display returns to Wired Network and Reset LAN.
Turn the printer off, wait a few moments, and then turn the printer on.
Reset NVRAM on the Dell™ 3115cn Printer
When the printer is Ready (Copy, Scan, Fax appears in the LCD), press the button until Setup is indicated, then press the This is an image of the enter button button.
Press the button until Admin Menu appears, then press the button.
Press the button until Wired Network is displayed, then press the button.
Press the button until Initialize NVM appears, then press the button.
When the Are you sure? message appears on the operator panel with the default indicated as No, press the or button to indicate Yes, then press This is an image of the enter button button. The display momentarily indicates Wired Network, Initialize NVM, Initializing... followed by Restart Printer to apply setting.
When the display returns to Initialize NVM, turn the printer off, wait a few moments, and then turn the printer on.
Reset the Network NVRAM on the 5110cn Printer
Press the Menu button.
Press the button until Admin appears, and then press the or (Set) button.
Press the button until Wired Network appears, and then press or (Set) button.
Press the button until Reset LAN appears, and then press or (Set) button.
When the message Are you sure? appears, press the (Set) button.
When Initialized and Restart Printer appears, power off the printer and power back on.
Shamelessly ripped from here.